- 1 Electro Technical Officer Training 2018
- 1.1 Career in Merchant Navy: Electro Technical Officer (ETO)
- 1.1.1 Eligibility Criteria for Electro Technical Officer:
- 1.1.2 Education Qualification-
- 1.1.3 Medical Standards :
- 1.1.4 Age Limit :
- 1.1.5 ETO Training- Selection Procedure :
- 1.1.6 Electro Technical Officer (ETO)- Training :
- 1.1.7 Electro-Technical Officers (ETO) Career Path-
- 1.1.8 ETO Course Fee :
- 1.1.9 ETO Salary :
- 1.1.10 Certificate of Competency(CoC)-Electro Technical Officer(ETO)
- 1.1.11 Updates/ Similar post:
- 1.1 Career in Merchant Navy: Electro Technical Officer (ETO)
Electro Technical Officer Training 2018
Shipping world has been in the picture since long – long ago, its wide scope & diverse perspective which have always lured many towards its epicenter & is the fastest growing sector either in Defense sector or to the Merchant world. Shipping being the cheapest way to the bulk transportation & has been preferred over the top priority with respect to other transportation for a long distance, so the demand for seafarers are growing exponentially. Talking precisely about Merchant navy and its career growth, it is fastest among all other & its not only the career but a perfect blend of responsibility with the challenge.In this article, I will constrain my words up to the Electro technical officer Training (ETO) Course, ETO training course fee, perks-salary, responsibilities, training academy in India, career growth- future scope in merchant navy etc.
Onboard ships we are in high demand for specialized hands for the specialized fields to be handled…. so, appropriate officers are required because we are always concerned about SAFETY onboard ships and related issues.
ETO’s are the officers which are loaded onboard/offshore with many responsibilities, some of them are :
- They are responsible for maintenance of sensor, fire detectors, all electrical machines(motors/generators etc).
- They are responsible for maintenance of Battery room, Emg. lights, etc
- They are responsible for maintaining routine check-ups all around.
- They are responsible for assisting other officers as well for other technical issues. etc
Above key points were not the only responsibilities, rather the list is enormous.
Note: Electro-Technical Officers(ETO) was known before as Electrical Officers (EO)
Eligibility Criteria for Electro Technical Officer:
The eligibility criteria here not only covers the educational qualification but the scope extends upto Medical & your physical standards as well.
- Passed 10+2 with subjects- Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics.
- A minimum of Diploma with 60% is required in Electronic/Electrical or equivalent field, or
- A minimum of Degree (B.E/B.Tech) with 50 % in Electronic/Electrical/Instrumentation Engineering or equivalent.
Medical Standards :
- Candidates must not have Blood pressure issues, permanent disabilities like color blindness etc.
- Candidates should be totally fit to serve the responsibilities under standard norms.
- Candidates should have eyesight 6/6 in better eye & eyesight of 6/9 in another eye etc.
- Minimum Height: 157 cms
- Minimum Weight: 48 Kg.
Detailed Record of medical fitness can be further checked from Directorate General of Shipping ( DGS) website.
Note: Anglo Eastern Maritime Academy, Karjat – Mumbai demands a minimum of 60% for degree holders.
Age Limit :
Not more than 28 years.
ETO Training- Selection Procedure :
The entrance test conducted for selecting the qualified candidates is done through the following process :
- Online APPLICATION
- Psychometric test [Test of English, Technical knowledge & Mental Ability test]
- MEDICAL Examination
- Interview (Technical)
- Merit list (Selected Candidates)
Electro Technical Officer (ETO)- Training :
In order to join the merchant navy as an Electro-Technical Officers (ETO), candidates are needed to be well aware & trained towards their duties. Thus, four months of pre-sea training is compulsory to undergo from the government approved merchant training institutes in India covering Electro Technical Officer Training.
Electro Technical Officer Training or (ETO) Course covers a wide variety of Technical, Non-technical and other real-time training at the various Merchant Institutes for your 360 Degree development, it merely covers :
- Basic Electrical or Equivalent studies with the knowledge of Marine Engineering (Required Onboard Ships)
- Basics of Mechanical concepts (Required Onboard Ships)
- Standards of Training, Certification, and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW Course) -2010 Updated
- Other Relevant certificate courses.
Note: These days upcoming and even the existing merchant vessels are upgrading with HIGH Voltage power supply onboard ships, so it has become mandatory to have the knowledge of High Voltage (for fresh ETO candidates with up to Operational Level Certification )
The list of approved institutes/academy by Directorate General of Shipping ( DGS) can be directly checked here.
But still, some of the most preferred institute/academy for the ETO courses are :
|Anglo Eastern Maritime Academy||
Karjat – Mumbai
|Great Eastern Institute of Maritime Studies(GEIMS)||
|Coimbatore Marine College||
Electro-Technical Officers (ETO) Career Path-
After successfully completing the 4 months of ETO course :
- Trainee Electro-Technical Officers > Assistant Electro-Technical Officers > Electro-Technical Officers (ETO).
ETO Course Fee :
The 4 months of ETO course fee widely varies with the academy to academy, which ranges from 2.5 lac to 4.2 lac for the entire duration of course, for the precise fee structure you must visit the particular website of that academy/institute in which you want to be applied.
Bank loans: The availability of education loan for this ETO course is subject to bank approvals, academies/institutes do not guarantee for the same, since, the ETO 4 months course is Directorate General of Shipping ( DGS), Ministry of Shipping (Govt. of India) approved, so selected candidates can attempt for education loan after receiving the original “ETO course admission offer letter & related documents” from the applied training Institue.
ETO Salary :
Electro-Technical Officers are paid with a handsome salary, precisely it cannot be said, as it varies from company to company & the type of ship. The average goes around $ 3000 – $ 5500 per month.
Certificate of Competency(CoC)-Electro Technical Officer(ETO)
What is Certificate of competency?
Certificate of competency (CoC) is an official license allotted to those officers which become competent in their respective fields like 2nd Mate, Chief mate, masters, ETO, Mechanical Engineer etc serving at Merchant navy in various capacities.
To obtain CoC the seafarers undergoes through various training, examination/orals and should have completed its sea service. In India Director General of Shipping (DSG) is the authorized body which allots Certificate of competency (CoC) to Seafarers. As per the Regulation III/6 of SCST 2010 Manila Amendments, each & every electro-technical officer (ETO) serving onboard ship powered by main propulsion system of capacity 750Kw or more shall hold a Certificate of Competency. These STSW 2010 Manila Amendments have enacted in to force by 01.01.2012. The Indian shipping administration (Director General of Shipping, DGS) has taken measures to implement the same & thus approved training course for electro-technical officers(ETO) have already started.
Updates/ Similar post:
Hope, this article on Electro Technical Officer Training Course will be very helpful and have covered all your related queries., further the interested & dedicated candidates inclined towards merchant navy career stay updated with us for any further information or similar post at ssccgl2017online.co.in
For any further queries/doubts related to the article, write us in the comment space below.